Get Off the Diet Roller Coaster: 9 Tips for Permanent Weight Loss
How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off Permanently
Losing weight isn’t easy, but keeping the weight off for the long haul can be even more challenging. Many of us have experienced weight loss only to be followed by gaining it all back…and often then some! That is the struggle of permanent weight loss, or lasting weight loss. But don’t get stuck on that endless roller coaster of yo-yo dieting. Below are some ways you get off of this dieting roller coaster.
9 Tips for Lasting Weight Loss
*Strategies for Keeping the Weight off/ How to Lose Weight Permanently:
1. Keep exercising even after you’ve reach your goal weight.
Losing weight isn’t a race where you get to stop and rest once you cross the finish line. It’s an ongoing effort, and it’s vital that you continue to eat right and exercise, so you don’t put the pounds back on.
- Exercise isn’t just for weight loss. Exercise supports mood and overall health so do it regularly.
- Try High Intensity Interval Training for quick results with the optimal results for health and weight management.
- See Spark by John J. Ratey.
- See also Burst Training for Maximum Weight Loss.
2. Set a target range rather than a specific goal weight.
Trying to stick to a specific number on the scale can be difficult. If you go above your goal weight it can be discouraging, and you may lose the motivation you need to stick to a healthy diet and exercise program.
- Shooting for a target range also allows for weight fluctuations that naturally occur.
3. Choose a diet you can do for the long term.
Many diets are very restrictive, and there’s no way you can stay on a diet like that for very long.
- Calorie restriction doesn’t work! It’s the most miserable and least effective way to lose weight.
- Choose a healthy eating plan that you’ll be able to stick to, even after reaching your target weight.
- One of today’s most effective eating plans for long term weight management as well as optimal health is the Paleo Diet. See this fantastic resource: Your Personal Paleo Code.
4. Having a support system can help you stay on track.
If you can surround yourself with people that will help keep you motivated and accountable, it will be easier to maintain your weight loss.
- Enlist the help of friends, family members, coworkers, or even people on a social networking site. If you state your goals publicly, you’ll be more motivated to put forth the effort to reach them.
5. Give yourself permission to make mistakes from time to time.
Sticking to a healthy diet and regular exercise program is great, but there will be times where you eat something unhealthy or miss a few days of exercise.
- If you happen to overindulge on food or don’t workout, avoid letting that destroy your motivation. Keep yourself from going back to sitting on the couch and eating junk food.
- If you have a misstep, get back on track and start moving forward again. You’ll reach and maintain your weight loss goals if you can develop good habits.
6. Eat plenty of vegetables and fiber.
Rather than turning to high calorie, prepackaged, processed foods when you need a snack, snack on vegetables with a healthy oil, such as olive oil or coconut oil. They’re packed with vitamins and minerals, will fill you up, and provide your body with the nutrition you need for optimal energy. It also helps keep you full for long.
If you’ve been a yo-yo dieter in the past, you know how losing weight and keeping it off can be extremely difficult. If you keep these tips in mind, though, you’ll discover an easier and a more enjoyable experience than that roller coaster!
7. Eat fat! Healthy fats.
- The old school of thought was that eating food high in fat promotes weight gain. This is true if you eat highly processed trans fats together with lots of sugary foods. We have discovered that eating fat is actually essential to health and overall weight loss and weight management.
- Choose olive oil and coconut oil.
- Eat fats from pastured and grass fed animals.
- Completely avoid foods high in trans fats or hydrogenated fats.
- Avoid (processed) industrial seed and vegetable oils (corn, canola, vegetable, sunflower, etc.)
- Increase your intake of heart-healthy elements, such as omega-3 fish oil found in tuna and salmon, fibrous fruits and vegetables, and a healthy amount of protein.
8. Cut out the sugar!
Be warned. Sugar is the enemy of weight loss and weight management.
- Excess sugar is stored in your body and puts you at risk for weight gain.
- A great resource is The Sugar Impact Diet.
9. Eliminate foods you are intolerant to.
Dairy products and gluten products especially can cause terrible inflammation and cause you to hold onto extra weight. Try eliminating these foods for a period of time and see if you begin to shed a few pounds. Dairy is notorious among body builders for use as a weight gaining tactic!
- Almost all people are intolerant to one or more of the following foods: dairy, gluten, eggs, corn, sugar, and/or nuts. For a great detailed explanation of food intolerance and how to embark on an elimination diet, see JJ Virgin’s book, The Virgin Diet.
Time to lose weight permanently!