How to Break Unhealthy Habits
Bad habits are hard to break, but unhealthy habits can also have more impact on your life than you can ever imagine. You may try to overlook habits like procrastination, quitting, and self-doubt; but you can almost guarantee that their negative effects will spill over into every area of your life and make you feel unhappy.
Don’t you think it may be time to break those self-destructive negative habits that are holding you back Imagine how your life could change if you let go of them and replace bad habits with positive behaviors instead. Your health stands to benefit, your relationships will blossom, and your confidence would soar. You’ll become happier each day and more successful.
How to Break Bad Habits in 3 Easy Steps
Begin to break your bad habits with these three simple life adjustments. Simple, effective ways to break bad habits:
1. Think of the repercussions.
A surefire way of motivating yourself to break unhealthy habits is to consider how they negatively impact your life. Quite possibly, they also affect the lives of friends and family, so think about that. A great strategy from Dr. Daniel G. Amen is to ask yourself the question, “Then what?”
- If your conscience kicks in during this phase, that’s a good thing! It means that you’re fully aware of the impact or consequences of those unhealthy habits. Perhaps you’ve been blocking them out of your mind, but now that you acknowledge them, it’s time to make a change.
- Wouldn’t you prefer to live with your mind at ease? Taking control of the outcome of a situation is the first step toward having a relaxed mind and heart. You’d feel more at ease without the guilt that comes along with bad habits.
- Remember that relationships with your loved ones are important – more important than any of your habits that you find hard to break. Loved ones form your support group. Avoid letting your bad habits and actions hurt them most of all.
2. Determine your desired results.
Take a moment to go through your “life wish list.” How many have you accomplished? What changes can you make to your life so those wish list items can become a reality?
- Prioritize your desired wishes/ goals/ dreams/ ambitions. Focus on them one at a time. Then, look at what needs to change so that you can achieve them. If it means breaking old habits, then go for it!
- When you decide to focus on your goals, you automatically change your way of thinking. Discover a strategy for reminding yourself of the goals you’re aiming for. Renew your commitment to them each day.
- In the process, focus on self-driven priorities, rather than those dictated by others. At the end of the day, you’re the only one who knows how to make yourself truly happy.
3. Challenge yourself.
You probably like to think you’re unconquerable. So why not challenge yourself to finally breaking a long-time unhealthy habit?
- Challenging yourself is healthy when it means making positive life changes. But surprisingly, you may find it more difficult than you expected. That’s what makes it a challenge! When you succeed, it will feel much more worthwhile.
- When you make life a little uncomfortable for yourself, you start to realize how much resilience and determination you possess. Tap into those positives and overcome your undesirable habits.
- Take it one day at a time. According to experts, a habit takes twenty-one days to form. Try using that milestone to beat those unhealthy behaviors and replace them with good ones!
With this formula for success under your belt, you’re equipped with the tools required to conquer your bad habits. It’s worth doing because the quality of life will become better in the long run. Take a stand against your unhealthy habits and make positive changes today. It’s within your power to make it happen!