Recipe for Gluten Free Cornbread
Is Cornbread Gluten Free? It could be! Cornbread is a fun addition to any meal (or on its own!) that is so delicious but usually involves gluten-containing flour. This gluten free cornbread recipe, however, uses cornmeal as the only “flour” resulting in a cornbread that is more dense but gluten-free. If you like your cornbread to be more cake-like and fluffy, you can substitute some of the cornmeal with a gluten free flour blend instead.
Cornbread Gluten Free (Recipe)
- 2 cups ground organic cornmeal* (coarsely ground cornmeal will obviously give your cornbread a coarser texture, which many people love)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted but not hot
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream, buttermilk, or coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons honey
*It is important to choose certified organic cornmeal to ensure the cornmeal you are using is non-GMO/ GMO free. Note that GMO corn is implicated in a number of health concerns for both animals and humans.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease cast iron skillet (12-inch). You can also make this recipe in a baking dish. Choose an 8-inch pan. Set it aside.
- Combine cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together with a hand mixer, the egg, butter, sour cream and honey.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not overmix. (Note: mixture will be relatively thin and especially thin if you used milk instead of sour cream.)
- Pour the mixture into pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and around the edges. Check to see if a toothpick comes out clean. It can take up to 30 minutes to cook if using a glass baking dish versus a cast iron skillet.
- Add chopped jalapeño peppers to the mixture before baking.
- Add chopped onions and/or chopped bell peppers for a fun variation on traditional cornbread.
- If you tolerate dairy, top your cornbread with cheddar cheese, after it’s baked.
- Top it with chopped bacon and cheese.
- Top with sautéed onions.
- Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of blueberries to the mix before baking.
- After slicing, top with butter and/or honey.
- Add organic canned or fresh sweet corn to the recipe.