Using coconut oil is a wonderful natural way to make your hair and skin soft, radiant, and healthy. Toss out your deep conditioners, under-eye creams, and lotions – you don’t need them anymore! A jar of unrefined coconut oil is an all-purpose moisturizer great for all skin and hair types.
Instructions for How to Make Coconut Oil Hair Conditioner:
Steps on how to make hair conditioner with coconut oil*
1. Put on old clothes.
Coconut oil can get a little drippy, so put on an old t-shirt. It’s best to start the conditioning treatment in your bathroom, but you’ll be able to move around while you let it soak into your hair for up to a few hours.
2. Choose a covering for your hair.
You can use a plastic shower cap, a large sheet of plastic wrap, or a second old t-shirt to wrap up your hair. Choose something you’ll be able to keep in place for several hours. Some people like to even use this treatment overnight.
3. Measure 3 to 5 tablespoons of coconut oil
Put the coconut oil into a microwave-safe bowl. Note: The amount of coconut oil you’ll need depends on the length and thickness of your hair. If you have long, thick hair, use five; if your hair is shorter and thinner, you only need three.
- Use unrefined, rather than refined, coconut oil. Refined coconut oil has additives and is put through processes that remove some of the natural compounds that make it so healthy for your hair and skin. Unrefined coconut oil is complete in its natural, healthy goodness.
- It’s okay if you accidentally use more coconut oil than your hair really needs.
4. Heat up the coconut oil in the microwave.
Put the bowl in the microwave and cook it for about 30 seconds on high before using. Give it a stir and cook it for another 30 seconds or until it has completely melted. You want the oil just warm enough to melt and becomes easier to apply to your hair.
- You can also melt coconut oil with your hands. Melt one tablespoon at a time by holding it between your palms and gently pushing them together. Coconut oil melts with very little heat.
- You can also heat up the coconut oil on the stove. Scoop it into a small saucepan and heat it up over low heat.
How to use coconut oil hair conditioner…
Tips on how to use coconut oil as hair conditioner*
1. Rub the prepared, heated coconut oil into your hair.
Let the oil cool down for a few moments, then work it into your hair starting at the top of your head, evenly distributing it around your scalp. Use your fingers to massage it in and smooth it down your hair shaft all the way to the tips. Continue massaging it into your hair until your hair is completely covered in coconut oil.
- You can use a comb to help you distribute the oil evenly. Pull it down from your roots to your tips.
- You may just want to condition the ends of your hair, rather than the roots. If that’s the case, apply the coconut oil to the ends of your hair instead of pouring it over your scalp. Massage it in with your hands.
2. Pile your hair on your head and wrap it up in covering.
Place your shower cap, plastic wrap, or old t-shirt over your head and wrap it up so that your hair is completely covered.
- You can secure your hair with a loose hair band to help it all stay wrapped up on top of your head.
- Use a towel to wipe away drips that might have gotten on your face during the wrapping process.
3. Wait at least 2 hours or overnight for the oil to soak in.
The longer you keep it in your hair, the more conditioned your hair will be. Wait as long as you can manage for best effect.
4. Remove the wrapping from your hair and wash.
Use your favorite shampoo to wash out the coconut oil. You will likely need to wash it two or three times, until your hair no longer feels oily.
Once dry, your hair should feel soft, shiny, and gleaming after this special coconut oil treatment.
- Do not leave the oil for more than a day without washing it. It will make your hair smell bad and become greasy.
- Coconut oil is around 90 percent effective at getting rid of lice when rubbed into the scalp.
- A small amount of this oil goes a long way. Be careful not to use too much.
- Add with Amla/Indian Gooseberry powder to keep melanin in the hair follicles. This is said to prevent gray hair.
Adapted from How to Use Coconut Oil on Your Hair and Skin.