Recipe for Garlic Infused Olive Oil
Fresh, flavorful, and full of healthy fat, you will love this garlic infused olive oil recipe you can make at home. Add it to your salads, pour it atop veggies or potatoes, or substitute it for any recipe you would otherwise use olive oil.
Your homemade garlic oil will stay fresh in an air tight container for one to two weeks, although in my house it never lasts that long because we love it and simply devour it!
Easy to make and such a wonderful enhancement to your food, prepare this DIY garlic oil and keep it on-hand for when you want it.
- One head/bulb of garlic
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1. From one head/bulb of garlic, pull apart garlic cloves, and peel the skin off. Leave your garlic cloves whole and do not rise them. (Many people like to rinse their garlic after peeling to remove any excess skin that might remain, but DO NOT rinse your garlic for this recipe. You risk developing bacteria in your garlic and this could contaminate your oil. So avoid this danger; prepare the garlic safely.)
2. Place the garlic cloves in a saute pan and cover the cloves with 2 cups (16 ounces) of extra virgin olive oil.
3. Heat the garlic and oil on low to medium-low keeping the oil at around 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-30 minutes. The longer you cook it, the more infused with garlic your oil will become. Do not heat the oil hotter than 220 degrees Fahrenheit. The oil will bubble gently. If your garlic begins to fry or brown, the oil is too hot and you should remove the garlic from the pan for a few minutes.
Tip: You can add any spices you like to your garlic oil during the last few minutes of cooking and then leave them in there to cool. Some spices we love to add are:
4. Allow the garlic oil to cool to room temperature.
5. After the oil is cooled, remove the garlic cloves from the oil and discard.
6. Store your oil in an air tight container for up to one to two weeks. Mine never lasts that long!
7. Use your garlic infused olive oil:
- over salad greens
- roasted potatotes
- over fresh mozzarella
- in cooking meats
We hope you try these steps on how to make garlic infused olive oil!