The Seven Chakras are energy centers in your body through which you receive, process and transmit life energies. They act as “energy transformers” and influencers of change.
Your thoughts, emotions, and actions can either block or activate these energy centers. Below you will briefly learn about each chakra and how to activate it.
Keep in mind that chakras can be balanced, under-active, or overactive.
How to Heal the Chakras
(Healing the Chakras – The Seven Chakras)
The root chakra is also referred to as the base chakra and is called Muladhara. It is red and is located in the tailbone and this energy source is associated with survival, self-preservation and security. The major blockages to activating the Base Chakra are “self-sabotage” or self-talk that is full of self-doubt. The real tragedy is that, unless you can manage these self-doubts, you cut yourself off from the other six sources of energy.
You can activate the Base Chakra in the following ways:
- Confronting your doubts as self-sabotage and challenging them.
- Visualizing your completed task and the sense of achievement you will experience with it.
- Sharing your concerns with others.
- Listening to your body and learning to release any tensions associated with whatever you are facing.
2. Naval Chakra – The energy of activity
This source of energy called Svadisthana and is located in the lower abdomen. The color is orange. This chakra deals with our feelings and our sexuality. Likewise, it is experienced as “excitement” and is associated with doing, movement, creativity and achievement. The major blockage to this energy source is inactivity brought on by procrastination and self-doubt.
You can activate the Naval Chakra by:
- Associating with others.
- Doing yoga.
- Doing water exercise.
- Aiming to take things in stages or necessary phases, rather than all at once.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra – The energy of control
This chakra is yellow and located in our stomach area. It is called Manipura. This energy is experienced as “clarity” and is associated with your sense of personal power, self-control and confidence. The major blockage to this energy source is a lack of order through the absence of planning. You can tap into the energy of control by creating order, structure, form or guidance. If this chakra is overactive, the individual will typically be regarded as arrogant.
You can activate the Solar Plexus Chakra by:
- Matching your task to your energy level – if you are a “morning person” do your creative tasks in the morning and your related routine tasks at night.
- Get more sunshine.
4. The Heart Chakra – The energy of community
The fourth chakra is called Anahata and is the color green. It deals with love and kindness and is located in the center of the chest. This energy is experienced as “connection” – brought about by your relationships with others and by engaging them in collaborative activity. The major blockage to this energy source is “isolation” – cutting yourself off from supportive relationships.
You can activate the Heart Chakra by:
- Spend quality time with loved ones.
- Participate in discussion.
- Developing a “learning partnership” with other people for mutual benefit.
- Connecting to other people.
5. The Throat Chakra – The energy of meaning
This chakra is the color blue and is located in the throat. It is called Visuddha. This energy is has to do with communication and is experienced as expression and is associated with metaphors, communication and beliefs. The blocks to this form of energy are unclear thinking and a lack of focus.
You can activate your Throat Chakra by:
- Talking with others.
- Saying the things you are afraid to say.
- Journaling to capture your thoughts and reflections.
- Drawing your thoughts through diagrams, maps, art and flowcharts to clarify what you are trying to say.
- Using metaphors to create new perspectives and meanings.
6. The Third Eye Chakra – The energy of integration
This chakra is the color indigo and is located right between our eyes. It is called Anja and its energy is experienced as intuition. It is associated with left and right brain, integration of male and female, wisdom and holistic approaches. One of the major blocks to this form of energy is “busyness” – incessant activity with no time for reflection.
You can activate your Third Eye Chakra by:
- Undertaking creative activity – e.g. painting, drawing or writing poetry.
- Being still – getting in touch with nature and your own body.
- Taking a walk – physical activity provides a good balance for sitting and writing.
- Clearing the clutter from your desk and your life.
7. The Crown Chakra – The energy of Spirit
This chakra is known as Sahasrara. It is located on the top of the head and is the color violet. This energy is experienced as transcendence and is associated with higher purpose, vision and higher consciousness. The major block to this energy is an obsession with Materialism.
You can activate the Crown Chakra by:
- Meditating – this helps you get in touch with your higher consciousness.
- Singing – helps you to find your deeper self.
- Revisiting your spiritual origins – this may be through prayer or participation in religious activities.
The Chakras are interconnected and interdependent. They embrace the whole person – the irrational and rational, the intuitive and emotional, the pragmatic and the aesthetic and the material and spiritual. You can activate your Chakras to improve your life and your daily living.