Apple Pie in an Apple Recipe
Apple Pie Baked in an Apple
This amazing dessert is a great alternative to the traditional apple pie recipe. Delight your guest or your family with this extremely tasty and fun variation on America’s favorite dessert – Apple Pie!
Baked Apple Pie in an Apple
(*Remember to be very careful when emptying the middle of the apples. It isn’t that difficult to do, but does require being cautious.)
- 4 medium apples
- 4 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Lemon juice
- Chilled pie dough, rolled out about 1/8 inch thick
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
2. Wash the apples well under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Set on a cutting board.
3. Cut a lid into each apple, and remove the tops. With a small sharp knife, carve out the core and seeds (without piercing the bottoms of the apples).
4. Using a small spoon, carefully scrape out the insides of the apple until an apple cup is formed. Save the pulp in a small bowl for the filling.
- Rub a tiny bit of lemon juice on the insides of each apple to prevent them from turning brown.
5. Peel and dice the lids very finely. Toss out the stems. Put the peeled and diced lid bits into the pulp bowl.
6. Mix the sugar, flour, and ground cinnamon into the apple pulp until well blended.
7. Spoon the filling back into each apple. Fill about 3/4 of the way to prevent spillage of filling while baking.
8. Using a cookie cutter, knife, or even the top of a cup, cut out apple lid sized circles in the dough, 1 per apple. You can also cut out shapes such as leaves, flowers, stars or animals and layer each piece onto the apple to form a crust.
9. Gently lay the crust circles over the apple tops and pinch the edges together much like you would a regular pie to seal the edges. Poke four little holes in the top to allow steam to come through.
10. Bake on a baking sheet for 30-40 minutes or until slightly tender and crust is golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
12. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon on the tops. Enjoy!
- You can add additional ingredients to suit your fancy such as chopped walnuts, or mix in a bit of caramel in the filling.
- Sprinkle confectioner’s sugar for that delicious look!
Adapted from Apple Pie in an Apple.