The Many Benefits of Giving
Many studies have been performed analyzing the benefits of giving. While the results are nothing short of amazing, they are also not at all surprising.
The consistent conclusion: Generosity equates with better emotional well-being and physical health.
“There is no better exercise for your heart, than reaching down and helping to lift someone up.” ~Bernard Meltzer
Stephen Post is the author of “Why Good Things Happen to Good People.” He talks about how giving is good for you and that it is scientifically proven. He says: “Giving is as good for the giver as it is for the receiver. Science says it’s so. We’ll be happier, healthier, and even – odds are – live a little longer if we’re generous.”
According to our survey of several studies, here are just a few of the Benefits of Giving:
- Better overall physical strength.
- Reduction in anger and related emotions.
- Better functioning of the immune system.
- Reduced stress.
- Increased energy.
- More balanced cortisol levels.
- Increased activation of endorphins – our feel good hormones.
- An increased sense of calm and peace.
- Improved cognitive performance.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Lower heart rate.
- Greater life satisfaction.
- Decreased symptoms of depression.
- Improved overall emotional well-being.
- Reduction in bodily pain.
Here are 3 studies showing there are indeed benefits to giving:
A study at Duke University Medical Center: Former heart patients visited current heart patients to simply listen and offer support. The results of this study showed that the volunteers improved their health through the act of giving.
A study at the University of Miami: HIV patients who volunteered helping other HIV patients showed lower stress levels and higher immune functioning.
In a study at John Hopkins, Linda P. Fried, M.D., who is the director of the Center on Aging and Health at Johns Hopkins said, “Giving back to your community may slow the aging process in ways that lead to a higher quality of life in older adults.”
Those indeed are great benefits of giving!